New Year! New Me!
No guarantees! I definitely don’t want to sound like the roving millions upon millions of other people across the world that have committed to a “new life” and their resolutions only to revert back to the people that they were in 2016 or before. Truth be told, I don’t want to be the person I was last year, and I don’t even know WHO I want to be this year – all I know is that I want life to be better. It starts with me. That much I do know. What else do I know? I know that I need to do things that make me happy. I suppose that this would be an appropriate time for a list of things that make me happy, but before that – there needs to be a brief intro for any newcomers and first time readers (lucky you!)
Who am I? I’m a thirty-something woman with the mind of a twenty-something, the aches and pains of a fifty-something and I am located in the heart of metro Detroit. I live in a cozy little condo with my other (not always better) half and our children. Stop right there. Before you go any further, let me define children for you.
In our case, children at this time equals our two Bengal cats, 9 year old Onyx and 1.5 year old Obsidian; our two 3 year old Parrotlets Io & Europa; our 5ish year old Indian Ringneck Parrot, Ruby; our 1ish Green Cheek & Pineapple Green Cheek Conures Callisto & Calypso (respectively) and our rescued Umbrella Cockatoo who is roughly between 9 – 14 years of age, Romeo.
The fact that it took a run on paragraph to describe our “children” to you should tell you a little about our crazy life. I am an avid lover of animals…all of them.
What else? I have spent the better part of my thirty-something years involved in the dance industry – performing, educating, competing, instructing, choreographing, you name it. I currently teach at the best studio in our area run by my dearest friend and I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of such a great family.
Anyway – that’s me – my little nutshell. You’ll learn more as the time (posts?) go on. Back to my intended first post. List of things that make me happy:
– I love to write. Mostly blog, edits, shorts, opinions, recaps. I don’t get into stories much, but have thought about writing a life story. Note: THOUGHT.
– Following recipes and trying to create delicious masterpieces are so satisfying to my soul. The funny part is, I don’t even end up eating a meal from my creations most of the time. I simply sample for flavor and making sure I didn’t use salt instead of sugar (you know, the little things). The joy comes from other people’s satisfaction.
– While it isn’t my best activity, I do like DIY projects. My struggle is either A) getting started on them or B) finishing them. That’s the culprit of much of the clutter in our condo and the fuel for many fights!
– You saw the mini novella above. Enough said. If I could be Ace Ventura…no questions asked.
- A Clean Home
– Love it, but refer to #3. My inner hoarder struggles with my inner neat freak. They despise each other. It is a daily fight to the death!
- Fitness & Health
– #6 is something that has been suffering severely for years now. I was diagnosed with a number of health conditions that have impaired my abilities to exercise properly at the right caliber and I struggle with what I can and cannot eat. I’m not getting into detail on the specific issues, but #6 is a big one for me, and is one that cannot go ignored this year. To make 2017 a better year #6 should REALLY be #1.
– Again, in the “about me” snippet above, dance is a part of me. You can’t say my name without thinking of dance and you can’t associate me with anything except dance. That’s why I am so thrilled for the part-time position I got this year working with a National Dance Competition as their Backstage Coordinator. I will be traveling across the country working with many dance studios to coordinate their competitions to make sure they run smoothly with as few hiccups as possible. Super exciting and just another testament to my love of the arts.
I think I’ve just decided that I’m going to keep this a running list, and when I think of things that make me happy, I’m going to add them to the list with the date.
For now, I think the whole writing thing is off to a good start! I am off to try to enjoy the beautiful day with my husband and our “New Year, New Us”. I can’t wait to see what this year has in store and I know that this year will be a better one than years before!
Accidentally Originally Yours –